Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"Check Engine!"

The "Check Engine" light came on again in my wife's car today.  Like always, I have no idea what that means... other than the fact that it will end up costing me money that I don't want to spend. 

I hate the "Check Engine" light... I fear the "Check Engine" light... but I am lucky to have it.  You can put off certain car maintenance and repairs, but when that light comes on... I know that it needs my immediate attention... or something really bad might happen.

Wouldn't it be great if we had similar warning signals for our organizations that could help us realize when immediate action is required?  If we paid closer attention, we would realize they do exist... They just are not as obvious as a flashing orange light.  Your organization requires immediate 'service' if:
  • Your opportunity pipeline is less than four times your revenue goal.
  • A significant part of your revenue is dependent on one client.
  • 80% your revenue comes from less than 20% of your sales force.
  • Your managers sell more than the teams they manage.
  • Your sales people only talk to customers who already know them.
  • You need to give discounts in order to close business.
  • You haven't trained your team in over a year.
  • Your total number of customers or members is decreasing every year.
The warning signs are all around us.  The only question is: Will you fix the problems immediately... or wait until you're stranded on the side of the road?

No comments: