Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Death of Retail – Part II

I Love to learn! I appreciate and take advantage of the amazing opportunity that I have to learn any subject I choose… for FREE! Whether it’s a bookstore, a library or the internet, unlimited knowledge is available to me (and you) at no cost. My preferred method is to visit my local big-box bookstore, grab a seat in the coffee shop, do work for a few hours, and read at least one book before leaving.

Today, I noticed that two entire rows of business books (my favorite genre) in the store are gone. An associate who was hard at work (not helping customers, but removing books from the shelves) told me, “Oh, yeah. We’re reducing our inventory… but don’t worry, everything is still available online!” I wondered to myself whether that associate realized that he was digging his own grave.

For those of you who have a vested interest in the survival of retail as we know it, it’s time to pay your last respects… because traditional retail is dying a slow and painful death. Unfortunately for people like me (and people whose careers depend on it), big buildings with massive inventory are no longer justifiable.

What are you doing to prepare for the demise of the traditional retail store? It’s no longer a matter of if… it’s only a matter of when.

p.s. While I do read a lot of books for free, I support my store by being a loyal customer. I pay to be a book club member, and I buy a significant amount of books for myself and as gifts every year.

No comments: