Friday, July 17, 2009

Bring Your 'A' Game!

During a coaching session with a person whom I am mentoring, the sales professional admitted to me the obvious – he had a less than stellar sales call with a new prospect. I had monitored that call, so I had already come to the same conclusion. “I just wasn’t feeling it!” He told me in a matter-of-fact tone. Moments later, he shared with me that he did have a “much better” call with another prospect later that same day.

Why does that happen with so many people? They can have a great customer interaction… that is immediately followed by a terrible one. Many sales professionals (and even their managers) try to give me lame excuses like: “That customer was just in a bad mood!”… or “The competition is fierce!”… or “It’s just that damn economy!” But, I never let anyone get away with those irresponsible claims… because they’re trying to assign the blame on someone or something else.

As a sales professional… consultant… mentor… coach… teacher… parent… or leader, it is your responsibility to generate the positive energy, excitement and interest in your idea, product, service or solution. Every customer must be treated like your best customer… Every interaction (face-to-face, phone, e-mail or text) must be treated like your most important interaction. Speaking with a qualified prospect is not an opportunity… it’s a privilege. Bring your ‘A’ game every time… or don’t play at all!

No comments: