Sunday, February 14, 2010

Good-bye 'friends... Hello Friends!

Imagine that you are at a professional networking event. A smiling stranger walks up to you and says, “Hi, my name is John. I’d like to be your friend!” While you might be a little skeptical, since it is a networking event… and this person seems to be normal, you would probably answer, “Sure, John!” And, the relationship begins…

So far, so good, right? Suddenly, and for the rest of eternity, John does nothing but sell, Sell, SELL! And you quickly realize that John never wanted to be your Friend. He just wanted a prospect to SPAM. What a waste! Today’s world of social media connectivity is no different. So many people ask for your Friendship only to treat you like an anonymous name in a phone book.

I will soon begin a systematic purging of the worst offenders from my ‘friends’ network… because I am searching for Real connections, Real relationships, Real Friends.

Good-bye ‘friends’… Hello Friends!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Completely with you on this one. If someone says "I would like to network with you" I know it is time to run.