Thursday, January 29, 2009

Proud to Disappoint!



Recently, I was on a plane run by our country’s most profitable low-fare airline. I heard the following announcement, “Ladies and Gentlemen, we are proud to announce that we have gone cashless! You may use credit cards or coupons to purchase drinks and snacks, but you can no longer pay with cash.” That was the entire announcement.

I applaud the crew for attempting to make this change in policy a celebration, but why are they so proud? They have decided (without exception) to not accept cash as a form of payment... which is guaranteed to disappoint and inconvenience passengers (better known as customers) on every flight.

I understand that this ‘No Cash’ policy will result in operational & efficiency savings, and I have no problem with that business decision. I only ask that they be honest about it. Here is the announcement I would have liked to hear: “Ladies and Gentlemen, in order to maintain our low prices and to speed up your in-flight service, we are no longer able to accept cash as a form of payment. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we thank you for your continued patronage.”

No comments: