Friday, January 16, 2009

Skill vs. Will

Back in the day... when I was a front-line sales manager searching for ways to improve my sales team's performance, I often divided everyone into one of two categories: Skill or Will.

I asked myself the following simple (yet powerful) question about each person:

"Is this person's performance gap a matter of skill or will? Are they not achieving their potential because they lack the ability... or is it due to a lack of desire?"

When you get down to it, they're aren't too many other possible reasons. Either they are not able to do something... or they do not have the motivation/discipline necessary for success. The next time you are evaluating some one's performance (including your own), ask yourself, "Is this a matter of skill or will?" The answer to that question will give you a much better idea how to fix the situation.

No comments: